Sunday, February 15, 2009

Up so high

One spring story hour session with a kindergarten class sitting on the floor before me brought a much more memorable story than the one in the book on my lap. It was such a beautiful little story I remember often and especially if I'm up in an airplane with beautiful white, puffy clouds all around.

I don't remember the book selected for the day. We began by talking about what those wiggly little ones liked to do, when they could play outside, after a Missouri winter had begun to warm.The usual responses of playing ball, chasing the dog and picking flowers were on the list. After several such "likes" one little guy, sitting right in front, said, "I like to fly my kite." Since he had everyone's attention he added, "And one day -- it took me right up into the sky with it!"

"Oh, what did you see when you were flying up so high?" I asked.

"Oh-" he said trying to come up with a good answer. " I saw God and Jesus and all those guys!"

There was a very brief pause but before anyone could say another word, a little voice came from the back of the group, "Did you see my Uncle Frank?"

It's amazing how little minds work, what they perceive of what they hear from us and what they can tell us .

No comments: